This blog is to keep our family and friends informed on how things are going while we are at the University of Arkansas Medical Sciences in Little Rock. Some people have asked why I choose to go all the way to Little Rock which is a 610 mile drive from home. UAMS has the Myeloma Institute of Research and Therapy. Here, they treat more people with Myeloma than any hospital in the world.
Friday, May 31-- Preparation For More Stem Cell Collection Started Today
We were at the hospital 5.5 hours today and started this round of chemotherapy. This chemo is different than the first round I completed in early April. This one does not require the chemo pumps and is administered in one hour via a drip IV and metering pump. This round will also last 4 days. The reason we were at the hospital so long was due to a miscommunication between the doctor's office and the pharmacy on how I should be receiving the chemo. The doctor told me this chemo would not be as strong and a different type than the chemo in April. I have already been feeling nausea from it so I dread how bad it might be after 4 days. The doctor was hopeful that this blend of chemo would allow me to have a successful stem cell collection this time. I really hope she is right.