This blog is to keep our family and friends informed on how things are going while we are at the University of Arkansas Medical Sciences in Little Rock. Some people have asked why I choose to go all the way to Little Rock which is a 610 mile drive from home. UAMS has the Myeloma Institute of Research and Therapy. Here, they treat more people with Myeloma than any hospital in the world.
Wednesday, June 5--Growth Factor is Already Working
My white cell count went up significantly today- the count was 2.59, hemoglobin-8.8 and platelets-72. On the first round of chemo and growth factor injections, it took 1.5 weeks for the count to make a significant increase, but I got a big increase after the first day of injections on this round. It is good to see the white count increasing. Hopefully, the platelets will increase soon. If not, I will have to receive platelets. The collection process reduces the amount of platelets so I need to have a good count before I start the apheresis. I have felt good today and almost like I have not had any chemotherapy. I am very thankful for that.The nurses told me it was common that a patient has bone pain when the growth factor shots are producing stem cells. One patient I met said every bone in his body hurt when he was getting the injections. I think this is the first time in my life that I am hoping I get pain.