This blog is to keep our family and friends informed on how things are going while we are at the University of Arkansas Medical Sciences in Little Rock. Some people have asked why I choose to go all the way to Little Rock which is a 610 mile drive from home. UAMS has the Myeloma Institute of Research and Therapy. Here, they treat more people with Myeloma than any hospital in the world.
Wednesday, June 19--Another Waiting Day
I am now getting two injections of Neupogen on each of the two trips to the hospital every day. Today, I also received another unit of blood. They want to have my hemoglobin close to 9.0 when I go for collection. I have received 3 units of blood on this round to UAMS. According to the label on the bags, one of them was from Washington, DC and the other two were from Miami, FL. I guess when I get back home, I will be telling lies and speaking with a Spanish accent. They are running the HPC (Hematopoietic Progenitor Cells) test each day now. They say normally a patient does not go for collection until the HPC count is 10. So far, my count is 0. My white cell count was 3.34, hemoglobin-8.2, platelets-121.