Wednesday, May 8--Another Day for Collection

We were at apheresis for collection today from 7am to 11:30am. My collection number was almost what it was yesterday. They collected 1.3 million stem cells today. So far, I have 2.7 million collected. I was hoping for many more since it takes about 5 million for a stem cell transplant and most people require two of them for longer term remission. There is, of course, a slight chance that I will never need a transplant and the stem cells will be stored in case I do need a transplant at some later time. It seems like all the efforts of this past month, all the trips to the hospital, all the injections, and the chemotherapy were all done for the harvest of these little boogers that are being stubborn about coming out of the bone marrow and into the blood stream where they can be collected. That is the reason for the once-a-day injection of the Mozobil. I had read on a website the cost of the Mozobil was $7,500 per injection but the nurse told me today it was over $20,000. I just can't imagine costs like that. I told the nurse I expected them to deliver the injection vial using an armored truck and armed guard.
My white cell count today was 18.72 and my platelets were 150.
We were very impressed with the credentials of the doctor in charge of the apheresis center. She has been recognized world-wide for her work with stem cell research. She always comes in to check on me and told me I did fine on the collection and don't be concerned that the numbers are not as high as some other patients.
The nurse thinks I will finish with the apheresis this Friday, and hopefully, we can head home sometime after I get the port removed and we see the doctor.