Tuesday, June 11-- White Cell Count Still Edging Up

We made the two trips to the hospital today for the two growth factor injections. I continue to receive the antibiotic via iv. My white cell count today was 0.12, hemoglobin-8.8, platelets- 29. If this round follows the pattern as the last round of chemo, the white cell count should make a big jump in a few days and I hope it does.
This evening, while we were in the big waiting area where I get my injections, a group of young people (probably in their 20s) came in and one of the hospital personnel was explaining the cancer treatments at MIRT. They were all wearing what appeared to be identical bicycle riding shirts. We were not close enough to read what was on the shirts. I thought it was probably a group of medical students being shown around but I was very wrong. As we were leaving the fourth floor, I looked out the window and saw two passenger vans loaded with the same folks we had seen earlier. One of the vans was pulling a long enclosed utility trailer. One of the vans had "Alaska Or Bust" written in big letters on one of the windows. This really peaked my curiosity. The big utility trailer had Livestrong Texas 4000 and other information written on the side. As soon as I could, I searched on Livestrong Texas 4000 to see what the group was doing. I was shocked to find out they are in the process of riding bicycles all the way from Austin, TX to Anchorage, Alaska. They are doing this to raise money and awareness for cancer. To think they will be riding many of the roads we drove last summer just boggles my mind. There are three groups going on different routes to Alaska but all left Austin and will meet again in Whitehorse, Yukon. The group we saw was the Ozark group. I hope you will take time to look at their website and read some of their profiles. It seems to me they are doing an almost impossible thing. Here is a exert from one of their profiles on why they are doing this.
"Sometimes I wonder what the heck I was thinking when I decided that biking over 4,500 miles to Alaska would be a good idea. Reality is, even with a challenge so huge such as this, cancer is so much bigger. I can only imagine the strength, courage and perseverance one must have to fight the monster that is cancer. 

I ride to spread hope above all things. I have hope that there will one day be an end to this horrible disease. I am no stranger to losing someone dear to me, and I know it is not easy, to say the least. I have seen the pain of those around me that have or have had family members affected by cancer, and it should not be something that anybody has to ever go through. However, I have also seen the power of hope. Hope is the one thing that we all have in common in the fight against cancer; and through it, I believe the impossible can be made possible. 
Life is fragile. To be able to say, "I am healthy" is a true blessing; so I ride for those who can't. I ride for those who fought for life, and for those who continue to fight."
I am very impressed and I think you will be too.
You can read about them at http://www.texas4000.org/